Wednesday, March 11, 2020

Tough Choices

When my baby was an infant, I used to do what's called exclusive pumping, because we never managed to make breastfeeding work. Exclusive pumping is really the worst of both worlds -- you don't get that special intimate contact with your baby, but you still have to give up hours and hours of your time.

My husband didn't work from home back then, so I was alone with the baby and often faced with the dilemma of her starting to cry while I was pumping. I felt I was constantly having to make a choice between her physical health and her psychological health. And I always chose her psychological health.

Now I'm in kind of the same situation again. My husband and I are both in higher risk groups for the coronavirus. We're lucky that he works from home and "social distancing" is pretty easy. Except... my kid has a regular routine of seeing her friends, at their house, twice a week. And they're not nearly as concerned about being careful as us, and their mom works with the public.

And once again, I'm going with psychological health. We've made some adjustments -- her respite care worker isn't taking them out to a restaurant as usual. But all this change and disruption is already so hard on her, I can't bear to cut her off from the things that help keep her sane.

Still debating myself over whether I should go to ballet class and the potluck, which are what help keep me sane.

No comments:

Post a Comment