Monday, March 28, 2022

Arrgh.

 Ooof, I messed up the other day.

We were hanging out at a beach, and my friend's kids weren't into playing, so my kid was feeling really lonely. And I noticed this boy talking to an adult about Legos, who set off my a-dar. He was wandering around, also seeming lonely, so I persuaded my kid to ask him if he wanted to do something.

It's been so long since I've tried something like this, and I totally didn't take into account how it would feel to an autistic teen. He handled it much better than my own kid would've, very politely, but he was obviously startled and I hope it didn't freak him out too much. (Especially since my kid is huge.) Maybe someone with more experience facilitating could've made it happen, I dunno. 

I feel so bad, setting my kid up for failure like that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment